Friday, March 18, 2011

"Fine Dining" my foot.....

So, I have considered starting a blog for about two years now.  Last night's dinner pushed me over the edge.  I, sadly, spend a lot of money in a week.  Usually, it is on household items, but occasionally, we have the joy of going out to eat.

I am NOT one to spend $100 a person going out to eat.  I am just as happy at a neighborhood place with decent food.  DECENT.  I'm not even asking for really good...

Last night, my husband, daughter and I went for dinner at West on Centre in West Roxbury, MA.  Every time I go there, I remember why I'm in no rush to go back.  Their prices are moderate, so should their food be.  No such luck. 

As a St. Patrick's Day special, they had Guinness Beef Stew.  As the bowl was place in front of me, I glanced from the bowl to my husband.  His only response was "I don't know was stew is in America, but it looks like soup to me."  (I should mention here he is from Ireland.  And their soup is amazing....)

Not only were we never given a bread basket to start, the "stew" came with nothing.  Being the trooper I am, I grabbed my spoon and dove into.....Dinty Moore.  Only soupier.  From the flavor to the texture of the meat, Dinty freaking Moore.  Now, rather than paying $1.19 a can, I was paying $12.  I don't think so. Not after the rubbery calamari appetizer.

My husband, being an even bigger trooper, ate his flank steak with a grimace.  As I waited for my stew to be replaced with their ever reliable Butternut Squash Ravioli, I looked at my daughter's grilled cheese and fries thinking, "I wish they had THAT on the adult menu".  Thank God for St. Patrick's Day beer!

After some slightly too salty raviolis, I decided, "Hey, you can't go wrong with dessert!!  Let me have at it!"  Creme Caramel?  I asked if it was Creme Brulee and was told "it's the custard, just not crispy on top. Kinda like Creme Brulee upside down."  Ok, I'll have that.  Completely DRENCHED in something.  Certainly not caramel. Much too watery.  Kind of had a coffee flavor.  Wouldn't have been SO bad if the "custard" wasn't drowning in it.  And if the bottom of said custard didn't have a healthy pudding skin.  I'm gagging just thinking about it.

At least the whipped cream was good.  And the beer......

No comments:

Post a Comment