Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Joys of the Holidays

So, I will be short and sweet this week.... I think.  Hard to say, since I just shoot from the cuff.

I am currently getting ready to cook for...hold on.  Lemme count.  At least 16 adults, but I am sure someone is missing.  Anyhoo, what a busy weekend!  My poor brother was good enough to peel TWENTY pounds of potatoes.  He got the easy job, I fear.  My mom has a bitchin' recipe for cheese potatoes that everyone seems readily available to kill for.  However, it entails hand dicing those twenty pounds of potatoes...with a sprain wrist.  You can imagine my joy!  And after that, veggies for the skewers had to be cut and 80 plastic eggs needed to be filled! Oh, the pain...

You know what else is joyous?  I actually got out of doing an elaborate Easter basket.  :)  My wonderful friend Jessica Rabbit (you'll never guess who she is.  She is neither a Jessica nor a rabbit.  But hey, rabbit, Easter...get it?!) constructed a delicious, goody filled basket for my daughter!  It is absolutely STUFFED with candy.  Good for daughter, bad for mommy. First things first, 3 lollipops and a chocolate bunny.  Thankfully, that bunny was hollow.  It was at that point I grabbed the basket and hid it.  6:15 a.m. is no time to be having chocolate, especially if you aren't prone to sharing. 

It was around that time I decided I was using Bailey's in my coffee instead of milk.  Hey man, she can have her vice, but I can't have mine? 

Anyway, what's a little buzz before cooking a ton of food?  At least this way I have a chance of not feeling the burns until tomorrow.  :)  I seem to think I am immune to heat when I am cooking.  It's kinda dumb.  I'll admit it.

So, on today's menu we will have those damn cheese potatoes, rice, ham, lamb skewers, bourbon turkey skewers, corn on the cob (just because it is coming into season and who doesn't love fresh corn?), broccoli, homemade coleslaw and some other bits and bobs.  Kind of looks like a mix between a sit down dinner and a barbecue, huh?  I don't care.  I am stuffing myself stupid.

I love the holidays for that exact reason.  I will celebrate any holiday if it involves awesome food.  Too bad I seem to be in the position of being the one to provide said food.  And while I slave over the oven all day, where is my beloved husband?  GOLFING!  The bastard!!  Actually, I happily sent him.  He will have a great morning and come home starving.  Now, there is a man that appreciates his wife's cooking. Lucky for him, I love cooking!

Well, I must run, loves.  The kitchen calls.  It is such a gorgeous day out, I'll happily open the windows to hear the birds more clearly and dive in head first.  Now, let's just hope any rain hold off until AFTER the egg hunt!

I hope you all have a wonderful day wherever you are and whomever you're with.  Please be safe and careful when traveling.  <3

1 comment: